Task 1 – Dimensions and challenges of strategic leadership
In my assessment I have chosen Vodafone which is a communication technology between so many people around the world. Also they are working very smartly as the CEO of Vodafone Vittorio Colao said in his speech that they exist to help 430 million customers in more than 27 countries they are funding public finances including country by country cash taxes paid Vodafone is the one who are doing so internationally.
Answer. Strategic leadership is the ability to influence others by making decisions that enhance the prospects of an organization. Leader has to be trust worthy and have confidence in them to lead their company and their employees. There are many areas from which leaders can win trust and confidence. They have to understand the company’s strategy.
Answer.1.) Environmental scanning- it is the scanning of an organization’s internal and external signs of threats and opportunities which may have their impact on future prospects. It is very important to know if our organization is going through a good phase or a bad phase and if they going in lose then by knowing we can overcome those loses.
2. Strategy Formulation:- Strategy formulation is defined as the process which is used by the top level managers to achieve goals easily there are six step of strategy formulation which are as follows-
1. Aiming company’s goals:- In this step, all the leaders set goals for the company from which their employees get aware from those set goals which they are working (Management guide n.d)
2. Analyze the organizational environment:- In this step every should be analyze, leaders can analyze strengths and weaknesses of other organization also if they have any competitor in market they will get to know by analyzing about from where they are lacking behind and this will give them to make their work better from others.( Management study guide n.d.).
If, Vodafone sees any competitor in market like spark they will get to know about their strengths and weaknesses by discussing with their employees they can also take feedback from their customers as this will be very helpful for them.
3. Setting the long term targets:- for setting long term targets, organization will set goals like from which they get more and more customers. (Management study guide n.d)
4. Contribution of team:- Contribution of team is very important because if one team member is not contributing then it is very difficult for the organization for their growth so they have to do the planning with the team members. (Management study guide n.d)
5. Performance Analysis:- To analyze performance of the employees it is important to identify the gap between planned and desired outcome. (Management study guide n.d)
6. Choices:- This is the last step of strategy formulation in which all the terms are considered like organizational goals, organizational strengths, opportunities etc. after this strategy formulation is completed. (Management study guide n.d)
C) Strategy implementation- strategy implementation can be defined in which strategy is implemented or executed to achieve goals and objectives.
Five steps to successful strategy implementation.
1. Align your initiatives
2. Align budgets and performance
3. Structure follows strategy
4. Engaging staff
5. Monitor and adapt
D) Strategy evaluation:- strategy evaluation is an important tool for assessing about your business how well it is performing, goals. It is also very useful to reexamining the goals which are set at different time on different circumstances. (2018 Hearst Newspapers, LLC)
Transformational leader- transformation is the change which a leader will introduce to their employees in the organization. (Ahmed 2018) changes can be different types some will be in the company other will be outside changes may be of product, service or any process change. Leaders are the one who introduces change in an organization and these changes help the employees to achieve their goals in given time. Vodafone is helping their customers and also they are transforming people’s life today they their leader have invented M-PESA which is useful for many people and their customers.
There is some impact of leadership style on stakeholders:-
Impact of transformational leader on employees:-
Employers are more likely to think that there is a new difference in management, and it’s a great opportunity for employees who want to change. Not only is the staff creative, but it is more likely to be more popular with the Customer’s forums and discussions.(Ahmed 2018)
Impact of transformational leader on external stakeholders
Government: Transformational leaders follow all policies, regulations and regulations and ultimately have a major impact on the economy if it is ethical.
Advantages of leadership style of employees Disadvantages of leadership style of employees
The employee can be more creative, productive and motivated when a team has transformational leader because everyone in the team will get innovative and innovative ideas during a general discussion or at the time of violence in the brain. As the transforming leader in the team, the most important mistake in my opinion is the lack of stability, because every team member will feel stressed out, as transformation leaders have a quality that the work should be done on time. Another disadvantage of the team having a transformational leader, however, is that some employees resist change and they are frustrated to do their job.
Advantages of External stakeholder government Disadvantage of external stakeholder of government
Government rules and regulations changes by time and they make new changes which is good for transformational leaders and also followed by them on time. Leader has to complete their goals on time if not then they may face problem in future.
Taxes should be paid on time also it is benefitted for the government. Leader should take responsibility by himself because this will give their employees self-relief but if leader only orders on their employees every time then this will make a bad image and their company.
External stakeholder- Government:- in every organization government plays a vital role because government wants that every organization in their country has to put government first and bind between the area which government has binded for them this is the rules and regulations of the government, policies which they have make to followed by every transformational leader. For example Vodafone is a top mobile company in many countries they give their customers best services they every time come up with new ideas and plans for their customers and they are growing by making more and more customers in the world they are paying taxes on time which shows that they are not doing any legal things. They have introduced services like M-pesa which have begun in 2017 to transfer small amounts of money to friends and families they have 16.8 active users.
Employees – it is very important in every organization that their employees are very important because employees are the main power of an organization through employees a leader can achieve his/her goal, to achieve their goals employees want –
(a) Reward, which can be given in their salaries.
(b) Value, every person who is working in an organization wants equal respect whom others getting if the leader not gives equal respect and rights to all of their employees then it is very difficult for them to achieve goals.
(c) Job security, it is must that leader should give job security to their employees as if they face any type of difficulty in future the organization will help them. (Ahmed 2018)
Two dimensions of strategic leadership to meet stakeholder expectations:-
Strategic leaders are responsible for-
Strategy and vision- Different types of leaders use different strategies for their work or if they have to solve any problem or issue in an organization.
1. Leaders do strategy formulation and implementation within the organization.
2. They will different types of goals for the organization like vision and mission goals.
3. They have to create good partnership with the other organization as this will help them to not be in a conflict with other organizations.(Ahmed 2018)
Here, if I consider employee as the stakeholder-
1. They give directions for the betterment of the organization. Also direction of the tasks and work.
2. Clearly defined jobs which should be clear to the employees because if the goal is not clear to their employees then this will put the leader in danger.
Finance and operations
In finance and operation it is very important that they give good services to their employees because they are buying products by giving their hard work money to organization or the company. If also there is any change or changes government should be informed by if there is any problem faced by them they should tell their customers first.
Two dimensions of strategic leadership to meet the expectations of change strategically
1. Lack of funding- This can also be one of the highest of which we see. There may be a lack of funding from financial institutions and some private investors or shareholders (Ahmed 2018) .Suppose in any organization, there are less people, then it will be difficult for the company with less funding organizations to run for less money, and less money will ultimately be provided by less facilities in an organization.
2. Competitors- Competitors are the main threat to any business, as every organization today has competitors according to their area. As a leader, if the competitor takes position in top numbers, then it is a big competition to other companies. For instance – Vodafone also have many competitors in market like spark nz, skinny but everyone come up with different ideas and thoughts like which customers like the most so competition is everywhere nowadays.
Task 2.communicate shared vision for strategic change to key stakeholders.
Stakeholder communication matrix is related to the project communication plan. This can be used to analyze communication plan to analyze the business work which is going to undertake.
There are various steps in communication matrix
Identify the stakeholders, if you know them this will easy for you to work with them to communicate. So it is very important for you to know about your stakeholders. Their identification is the entry of them to participate and get interacted with people. When you know their name you need to know about the status that whether it is internal or external That whether it is in the company or outside the company. After this contact info is must because through contact info you can call them and ask them to come you can text them or email them. Follow the plan as it is because it is necessary to follow the plan in communication matrix, also what is the communication type and how it is influencing your business.
Stakeholder categorization matrix
Stakeholder categorization matrix focus on the highs and lows of the power of stakeholders and interest of stakeholders on the basis of meet their needs, key players, least important and show consideration. On the basis of this its power is high or low it will be calculated.
In order to mitigate the problems for the employees, communication about the consultation is preferable, but for the suppliers a good communication between push and push communication is desirable.
Starting with the employees, since the problem was that the employees are not well trained to mitigate this problem, consulted communication can be used. Consulted Communication is the mutual engagement process where one party asks questions and answer similarly in Vodafone Top level managers should have regular meetings or discussions with employees about the training and should have the feedback from the employees and top level management will discuss the questions of the employees with trained tutors. Afterwards the tutors will try to train their employees at the highest level. Overall, there should be regular meetings with staff so that operational issues are eliminated.
When talking about the suppliers, the problem with suppliers is the delivery of raw materials was not on time. So, to mitigate this problem, I think pull communication and push communication can reduce this problem. First, managers should have a push communication with the supplier about why the raw materials were not delivered on time, so that the communication can be done by email or letter, podcast, text, brochures, etc. There are many ways to get the supplier’s answer, but if the supplier does not respond, then follow pull communication and top-level managers look for the new supplier, and the leaders add an article on their website, which refers to the supplier of the company. (Ahmed 2018)
My company is Vodafone and vision for my company is as follows,
Our vision demonstrates our ambition to deliver connectivity and innovative services to improve people’s livelihood and quality of life. To achieve this vision, our long-term commitment to responsible and ethical dealings with our activities.
Positive impact on key internal stakeholders-
All employees will feel motivated and involved in the work to realize their vision, because a vision makes a picture of the goal in every head.
Vision Statement gives all employees the direction they are aware of their goals and gives them a commitment to their task.(Ahmed 2018)
It is beneficial for a business that a supplier understands the company’s vision because the vision helps build a good relationship with the supplier because the vision supplier knows what a business wants
If there is a good vision of the company and the supplier is aware of the company’s vision, the supplier can supply good raw materials to the company, and the company can make some profit just as the supplier will get a bonus. (Ahmed 2018)
For example- Vodafone vision states that our ambition to deliver connectivity and innovative services to improve people’s livelihood and quality of life, that they are doing their work to make people feel connective which helps people to enjoy their services sitting at the corner of the world.
Four management processes to communicate to ensure transformation stakeholder:-
1. Identify stakeholders: – The first and most important process is to identify the stakeholders, and the business organizations must formally identify all stakeholders based on the name, title, designation, authority and impact on the organization as determined by the stakeholder decision. (Ahmed 2018)
2. Plan stakeholders:- This is the second process where the leaders will communicate and once the stakeholder is identified, Leader will develop a communication matrix for stakeholders
Stakeholder communication matrix: it consists of all type of detail of the stakeholder.
Name: – Name of the Stakeholder
Status: – Internal or external
Position: – position of stakeholder
Contact info: – E-mail, via phone
Communication Type: – , e-mails, Web-conference or texts.
Frequency: – Weeks, months.
Influence on the organization: – low, medium.
Power (Interest): – low, high.
3. Managing stakeholder engagement:- In this process, every leader that planned should be executed in this step and all stakeholders mentioned in the Stakeholder Communication Matrix should be taken seriously. This is the time to execute the stakeholder management plan. All stakeholders should use all types of communication tools at a fixed frequency to sustain stakeholder engagement. (Ahmed 2018)
4. Control stakeholder engagement:- This last step discusses methods that monitor all stakeholder relationships. The main purpose of this step is to check whether the plan is executed properly or not. (Ahmed 2018)
These four steps are used by Vodafone to communicate.
The stakeholder plays a very important role in the organization and it is believed that a company without shareholders can get it there, so the stakeholder satisfaction is important, however, to communicate with the stakeholder, such as Stakeholder Communications Matrix etc. There are ways. Such resources help the organization identify the stakeholders according to their interests, which helps the company to select the right stakeholders.
Not only are shareholders essential to the company, but prospects are important missions. Each organization has its own vision and mission. Like missions, the organization’s current goal is to look at the future goals of the organization.
Our vision sets out our ambition to deliver connectivity and innovative services to improve people’s livelihoods and quality of life. Central to achieving this vision is our longstanding commitment to manage our operations responsibly and ethically. Moreover vision statements tell more about the organization also Vodafone aim to help transform the societies and contribute to more sustainable living.
1. Identify stakeholders:- The first and most important process is to identify the stakeholders, based on the name, title, designation, a (Ahmed 2018)
2. Plan stakeholders:- This is the second process where the leaders will communicate and once the stakeholder is identified, it consists of all type of detail of the stakeholder like name, position etc.
3. Manage stakeholder engagement: – in this step stakeholders been identified.
4. Control stakeholder engagement:- in this step all the plans are monitor and executed in a right way (Ahmed 2018)
Task 3 – transformational leadership practices to lead and implement strategic change for efficient and effective transformation.
Four transformational leadership practices relevant to leading the organizational transformation are:
1. Idealized influence: In idealized influence leaders are the role models which influence their followers by teaching them the practices. They put impact on their followers by their actions, giving them respect and also by building trust between their employees. Their power is to influence others to strive for the common goal of an organization.(Ahmed 2018)
2. Inspirational motivation: leaders are very clear in inspirational motivation about their vision. Their impact on people is so powerful that they know what they want from their interaction. They give guidance to their followers by providing them a meaning and sense of challenge. (Ahmed 2018)
3. Intellectual stimulation: These types of leaders encourage their followers to be innovative in their work they never criticize their followers publicly for their mistakes. They focus on the problems and not on blaming their followers for their mistakes.(Ahmed 2018)
4. Individualized consideration: all leaders have their transformational strategy. Leaders are the mentors who guide their followers and also give their followers reward for their creativity and innovation which makes them different. (Ahmed 2018)
1. Readiness assessments:- readiness assessment is first step towards change in which many questions arises like how big is the change, how many people are affected from that change in an organization, is it be good or bad for the organization or is it be gradual or radical change, what type of resources will be needed or any positive or negative impact on the organization. (Ahmed 2018).
For example:- suppose if Vodafone wants to expand their work in other countries or they have open new branches in other countries they can start by readiness assessments as they have seen that which type of change is it radical or gradual also managers of Vodafone have to give instructions to their employees about the change.
2. Communication or communication planning:- in communication or communication planning managers have to repeat their messages again and again to get their plan cemented in the minds of employees because sometimes employees did not understand in one go because sometimes it skip from their minds and they do not ask again but for communication planning it must be repeated five times for effective communication.
There are three components of Effective communication
(i) the audience
(ii) what is communicated
(iii) when it is communicated(Ahmed 2018)
in Vodafone company if they have to make changes in anything they have communicate with each other for the better results for customer satisfaction they have to held meetings in which they should discuss about the different things which they want to change in the company.
3. Change management training for the managers:- Managers and supervisors plays very important role in managing the change. Managers have more influence on their employees they can motivate their employees by giving them motivation that they can do their work even in hard times. Managers should train their employees to make a strategy and successfully coach their employees, in every organization training is needed for every employee.(Ahmed 2018)
4. Training development and delivery- Training is very important for the development of the change it is the key for the success in the future when people get training at the right time is the primary role in change management. Training should be step by step and it can be ensure people that they also support the change and they are agree with the change which is important. Training is also based on skills, knowledge and behaviors these things are very necessary to implement the change. (Ahmed 2018)
5. Resistance management- resistance management is the tool which is used by the managers with the support of the change team to manage employee resistance. The team needs to identify the change and understand the whole process and tools used by the managers throughout the organization. (Ahmed 2018)
6. Employee feedback and reinforcing change: employee feedback is taken to get to know about that how much employees are satisfied by their work. Taking feedback from their employees is also very important because this is also give direction to the mangers to resolve their employees problem which they facing in the organization. (Ahmed 2018)
Two management process are-
1) Stakeholder mapping- stakeholder mapping involves identifying analyzing and prioritizing the people and organizations with a stake in organization. This is to help the organization with the stakeholders to work effectively.
Some steps are:-
a) Identify:- in first step it is identify the stakeholders of your organization.(Ahmed 2018)
b) Analyze: – in second step stakeholder analysis this includes to define the roles and expectation of the stakeholder the organization. Every stakeholders are not equal they are created different from each other such as some are given more preference and some get less in an organization.( Ahmed 2018)
c) Prioritize: – when you understand about the stakeholders your next step is to prioritize their needs. Like by categorizing stakeholders you can appropriate their engagement levels you should keep them satisfied with the future prospects it is necessary. (Ahmed 2018)
d) Engage:- this is the last and final step in which you have to engage with your stakeholders and know about them their understanding also with their support this will help you in communication for you future goals.(Ahmed 2018)
2) stakeholder communication matrix
Stakeholder communication plan give us a planned structure of the communications that all the stakeholders get consulted on their areas.
Key message stakeholder communication channel when responsibility status
New methodology is commenced Head captain Paper provides evidence to support the new initiative Email followed by face to face End of July Mary and Julia completed
Two management processes to engage key stakeholders are:-
1. Think strategically: in this process stakeholders are very clear about their objective and they identify issues to the strategic objective and also to prioritize their plan so they have to think strategically for the implementation of their plan in a business also they have to think about their future as they don’t face any problem. (Ahmed 2018)
2. Evaluate: In Evaluate they have to plan the activities which they implemented and follow that activity and evaluate that, after evaluating they have to review and learn from the process. Measuring is also very important to report an outcome because from measuring they can know about the loss or any other damage the company is facing.(Ahmed 2018)
Two strategies to address risks or limitations to strategic change to ensure efficient and effective stakeholder transformation are:-
1. Mitigate: risk mitigation is the strategy which is used to reduce the risk in an adverse situation and also give the solution to overcome from that in the given term, it may require time and presents a tradeoff between doing nothing is equal to the cost of mitigating the risk. (Ahmed 2018)
Example- if Vodafone faces problems like tower problems and people are not getting connected with them so they can first mitigate these type of risks and overcome from this.
2. Avoid: every company faces risks I business because these risks sometimes does not make big problem but other times by avoiding these risks cause big problems so, it is very important to not avoid risks on time. (Ahmed 2018)
Example- Sometimes companies face many problems like some are small and some are large one is competition, other companies like spark nz gives free data to their customers they create these types of things. So, these things can’t be avoided because this thing put Vodafone into risks.
Transformational activities Person responsible Key stakeholders Expected outcomes Time frame
Invent New technologies *I.T managers
*Top level management *customers
*I.T staff *Attract more customers 3-5 months
Advertising *creative staff
*admin staff *customers
*employees *advertisements increased sales One month
Motivating employees to improve work *managers *staff
*customers *help employees to perform good in their work
*work satisfaction 1-2 months
Ahmed. K(2018) class notes on leadership, Tasman international Academics, new zealand.